11/30/10

Thanksgiving 2010


I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving this year. We thoroughly enjoyed cooking the big dinner and it turned out well. We mostly stuck to our original plan, with some changes:

Small turkey (10 lb cage free turkey from local farmer)*
Baked purple yams*
Garlic mashed potatoes*

Friday:
Pear-ginger cranberry sauce* (from my cookbook)
Garlic mashed potatoes*

We tried some new recipes, and I put links to them above, with a star next to the ones I would do again. The stuffing was amazing and I highly recommend it. Janice baked Paula Deen's pumpkin pie recipe modified, with less butter and less cream cheese, and it was really good. The pear-ginger cranberry sauce was great too - I put less sugar, and the ginger and anjou pear adds a lot.

The photo at the top of this post is the centerpiece I made from twigs and branches in our front yard. And a photo of the dinner below is courtesy of Janice's iPhone:


Janice carved the words "give thanks" out of butternut squash leftovers. My aunt recently gave me a set of china as she had 2 sets, and we didn't have one, so we used plates from the set. It was a nice touch. 

Also, I started watching the first season of Glee online over the holidays. I'm kind of late, I know, but that's how things roll in a TV-less household. I LOVE it. It's bringing out my inner orchestra geek. 

No comments:

Post a Comment